Land Use Applications
- The rezoning & special exception processes require a public hearing by both the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors. The application is first heard by the Planning Commission which will forward a recommendation of approval or denial of the application to the Board of Supervisors. The Board of Supervisors will ultimately decide whether to approve or deny the application.
- The proposed use cannot utilize the property subject to the rezoning and/or special exception as requested without the approval of the Board of Supervisors.
- Until the Planning Commission has acted on a rezoning or special exception case, a public hearing date cannot be scheduled for the Board of Supervisors.
- Site plan and Final Subdivision reviews/approvals are the responsibility of the Department of Planning & Community Development; Public hearings are not required.
- Agendas for the Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors meetings, including the staff reports & related materials for rezoning & special exception cases, can be found on the County website. These agendas are available on or about the Friday preceding each regularly scheduled meeting.
- Interested citizens are encouraged to attend the public hearings and express their views on the proposal.
For more information, contact the Department of Planning & Community Development at (804) 633-4303.