Current tax rates

real estate taxes

personal property taxes

Vehicle Licenses

utility bills

dog licenses

dmv select services

New Residents Guide

State Income

Important dates to remember

Payment Options

Change of Address

Frequently Asked Questions

Contact Us

About Us

Real Estate Taxes

Real estate taxes are due semiannually with due dates of June 5th and December 5th. The Treasurer sends tax bills at least fourteen days prior to the due date, but it is the responsibility of the taxpayer to inquire for the amount due if a bill is not received. Real estate bills which are requested by a mortgage company are sent directly to that organization. If you receive a real estate bill and your mortgage company should be paying, you should forward the bill to the mortgage company.

First half tax bills reflect ownership as of January 1 of the taxable year. Second half tax bills reflect changes in ownership that have been recorded prior to the billing.

Real estate taxes can be paid in person at the office, online, by mail or at one of the Caroline County Union First Market Bank locations.

The Caroline County Treasurer’s Office now offers a pre-payment option for paying your taxes as well as an ebill option. Ebills allow you to receive an email notification when the new tax tickets are available for viewing on the Internet. The pre-payment program helps you to spread out the cost of your taxes by allowing you to prepay all or part of your bill before the June 5th and December 5th deadlines by making tax payments weekly, monthly or quarterly. To enroll in either program click here. You may also click here for more payment options.

Property owners must notify the Commissioner of the Revenue office if a mailing address needs to be changed within the year. You may do so by contacting the Commissioner of the Revenue or by filling out the change of address form and returning it to PO Box 431, Bowling Green, VA 22427 or email. If you receive a bill for any property that you have sold, please forward the bill to the current owner.

For information call (804) 633-9835 or (804) 633-9834 or email the Commissioner of the Revenue.


Certain agricultural and forest land qualifies for assessment at a "use value" rather than "market value". Applications for, or revalidations must be filed with the Commissioner of the Revenue by November 1 for the following year. For more information, please call (804) 633-9834.

Certain elderly and disabled persons are allowed Exemptions of Real Estate Taxes on their homes. The head of household or spouse occupying the dwelling and owning title thereto must be sixty-five (65) years or older on December 31 of the year immediately preceding the taxable year or must be permanently and totally disabled. To find out if you may qualify for an exemption please contact the Commissioner of the Revenue at (804) 633-9834.

Applications must be made prior to March 1 for each taxable year.

Certain veterans and/or the surviving spouse of a veteran are eligible for exemption of real estate taxes which are occupied as his or her principal place of residence. This includes the joint property of husband and wife. Any veteran who has been determined by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (or its successor agency pursuant to federal law) to have a one hundred percent service-connected, permanent, and total disability qualifies for the exemption. This exemption also applies to the surviving spouse of a veteran who was eligible for the exemption, so long as the surviving spouse does not remarry and continues to occupy the real estate property as his or her principal place of residence.

For applications and more information contact the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office at (804) 633-4496 or by email.

If you have questions about real estate taxes, visit our frequently asked questions page or call our office at (804) 633-5291.